The California Contractors License Board (CSLB) recently encouraged contractors to take note of the Earthquake Brace + Bolt (EBB) program being offered by the California Residential Mitigation Program, a joint powers agency of the California Earthquake Authority and the Governor's Office of Emergency Services. The EBB program is a residential seismic retrofit program that financially incentivizes homeowners to retrofit homes built before 1940 -- the homeowner will receive up to $3,000 to cover costs associated with retrofitting an eligible home. The retrofit will reduce the potential for the homes to slide or topple off of their foundations during an earthquake by adding anchor bolts and bracing in the crawl space ("cripple wall") to improve the connection between the wooden framing and concrete foundation. Homeowner registration takes place from January 15 to February 15, 2015.
The EBB program will be available in January 2015 in 26 California ZIP Codes:
- Oakland: 94602, 94607, 94609, 94610, 94618
- San Francisco: 94112, 94121, 94127, 94132
- San Leandro: 94577, 94578, 94579
- Los Angeles: 90026, 90031, 90039, 90041, 90042, 90065
- Pasadena: 90026, 91101, 91103, 91104, 91105, 91106, 91107
- Santa Monica: 90401, 90404