UPDATE: Stevens Wins Solar Decathlon 2015 — CONGRATULATIONS!
The U.S. Department of Energy’s Solar Decathlon is a biennial event that challenges collegiate teams to design, build, and operate solar-powered houses that are cost-effective, energy-efficient, and attractive. The winning team will be the one that best blends affordability, consumer appeal, and design excellence with optimal energy production and maximum efficiency. The Solar Decathlon U.S. 2015 will take place October 8 through 18 at the Orange County Great Park in Irvine, California.
These teams that will compete in this year’s Solar Decathlon U.S. are:
• California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
• California State University, Sacramento
• Clemson University
• Crowder College and Drury University
• Missouri University of Science and Technology
• New York City College of Technology
• State University of New York at Alfred College of Technology and Alfred University
• Stevens Institute of Technology
• University of Florida, National University of Singapore, and Santa Fe College
• The University of Texas at Austin and Technische Universitaet Muenchen
• University at Buffalo, The State University of New York
• University of California, Davis
• University of California, Irvine; Chapman University; Irvine Valley College; and Saddleback College
• Vanderbilt University and Middle Tennessee State University
• West Virginia University and University of Roma Tor Vergata
• Western New England University, Universidad Tecnológica de Panamá, and Universidad Tecnológica Centroamericana
• Yale University
The teams’ competition houses (the Solar Decathlon village) will be open free of charge to visitors from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily on eight days over two weekends: (1) Thursday, October 8 through Sunday, October 11 and (2) Thursday, October 15 through Sunday, October 18. Otherwise, the Solar Decathlon village will be closed for competition activities.